Sunday, January 13, 2008

Why Am I Here?

Simple...I want to get better at CrossFit. Am I looking at the glass as half empty with the realization I will never catch up with Alan, Chris or Mike? No, I view this challenge as a tool for self-improvement. The term self-improvement has taken on a new perspective for me since starting CrossFit. Some of the feelings I have experienced during these workouts could be classified as cruel and unusual punishment. Just hearing the word 'thruster' brings back not so pleasant memories of seeing spots and my head ready to explode. Why did I pay for a membership when I could have just worked out on base with all the muscle heads for free? The motivation I receive from the group helps me push past the point to where I want to quit. For years I hit the gym, trying to get bigger. Not going to happen, I lack the genetics to be that guy on the beach. My time is usually slow and some of the lifts have to be scaled down which sucks but I am trying to get better. One of the up sides of doing CrossFit aside from the physical part is it gives me a sense of accomplishment. On a parting note, if pain is weakness leaving the body then I have left my share at 27 Edgar Street.

Retired Master Chief Petty Officer,
Chris Cavanaugh

No comments: