Friday, July 18, 2008

Email from CFJ trainer, Whit

Yeah internet is pretty touch and go since everything is running off satellite and the whole valley has been experiencing flooding, ie loss of electricity. I check the site pretty regularly as well as HQ, CFE, CrossFit East, HC2, and Agoge. Besides those sites and email I would be sitting so long for loading that I would have enough time to eat, digest, and then eat again. And there is just too much work. I'm up at 5:30am to load the hay truck and go feed horses, then I either do my WOD or grab breakfast and head back down, it's a dude ranch so we have to catch and saddle all of the horses and with 30 guests it can take a while. I am also the resident handyman so I have been doing a lot of general construction and repair work of stuff damaged from this past winter/spring. Lunch mid-day, go for a run if it's in the cards, go back to the construction job or take the guests for another ride. Late afternoon we pull the problem horses (read untrained) and work with them trying to get them with the program, and it can get interesting, a fellow wrangler got bucked and stomped pretty good last week. After that it's time to feed the horses again and then if I didn't do my WOD @ O'dark I knock out my workout. Dinner, a shower, a Crossfit Journal article or two and it's time to pass out wake up and do it all over again. We get saturday off if we don't have to feed but otherwise its mostly work. I've been doing 3-1 pretty consistently with about 3 runs per week, plus a swim in the swiftwater (the Shoshone River runs next to our ranch). I only took it easy after the Ultra and focused on upperbody mutli joint stuff, no breaks. Not to sound selfish but it has been nice to more on my own training and not on the progress of others and get to work on some of my own deficiencies (front squats, BW manipulation and gymnastics like HSPUs and ring dips, parkour movements) but I miss the pulse of the gym for sure. After the long day its sometimes a mental fight to walk up the hill to where my little gym is and knock out a WOD because I know its just going to be me in the arena. And to know, even if I vomited and am strewn across the ground (happened on Friday), whether or not my performance was up to par with my peers. I have been doing semi my own programming just to give it a shot, get some experiental knowledge, but also because I just don't have the facility to handle the more complex Barbell stuff.

No comments: